UCF to Retire Skype for Business and Transition to Microsoft Teams
December 3, 2021
Microsoft has announced that it will retire Skype for Business and transition to Microsoft Teams. This undertaking will modernize the university’s communication technology and better meet the needs of people working, learning, and teaching remotely. Another factor in UCF’s decision was Microsoft’s announcement that they no longer support the Skype for Business Application.
UCF created an implementation team with representatives from colleges and divisions. Ricardo Suarez, Program Manager, is representing CUGS and SLAS.
The Teams Calling Implementation Project began in spring 2021 and will continue throughout 2022. The CUGS and SLAS migration schedules are as follows and each migration will span two days. Please note that units using Cisco phones are not on the list.
- Experiential Learning: January 19-20
- Registrar: February 14-15
- Center for Higher Education Innovation: February 14-15
- Knights Major Exploration and Transition Center: February 16-17
- Interdisciplinary Studies: February 16-17
- Pre-Health & Pre-Law Advising: February 16-17
- Vice Provost’s and Dean’s Office: February 24-25
- UCF Connect: March 14-15
UCF IT is offering Microsoft-led virtual training that will discuss:
- The basics of using the calling features in Microsoft Team
- Configuring Teams Calling settings including delegation and simultaneous run
- Managing call history and setting up voicemail
Training sessions will take place on December 8, February 9, and March 9. Visit the Teams Calling Implementation Project Training page to register and learn more.
If you have questions about the Teams Calling Project, please email Ricardo Suarez.
Meetings Via Teams
July 16, 2021
As part of UCF’s return to normal operations, we are shifting the way we conduct virtual meetings. Effective immediately, internal meetings (e.g., staff meetings and project meetings) should take place via Teams. If the meeting includes participants outside of UCF, you can continue to use Zoom.
Student events such as workshops, classes, and programs can continue to take place using Zoom.
Information about Teams Meetings is available in the Microsoft Knowledgebase at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/meetings-1f8862a1-48f2-4869-863d-564123343d38