APPLICATIONS FOR MCNAIR ARE NOW OPEN!
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO SEPTEMBER 25TH
The program provides a challenging and supportive environment that is conducive to learning and personal/professional development.
We offer students:
• Individualized academic and personal support from McNair staff
• Involvement in a cohesive community of scholars and educators
• Experience conducting research
• Participation in summer research experience while receiving a scholarship of up to $2,800, tuition for the academic credits earned from the research experience, and assistance with room and board.
• Faculty, graduate student, and peer mentoring
• Opportunities to participate in research conferences and visit graduate schools
• Assistance in locating and applying to graduate schools
• Workshops on the graduate school application process, financial aid, scholarships and fellowships
• GRE preparation
Before starting the application process, please ensure you meet ALL of the following eligibility criteria:
- I intend to pursue a Ph.D. or Ed.D (professional degrees such as MD, JD, MBA, PharmD, etc. are not eligible)
- I intend to enroll in graduate school immediately after graduating UCF
- I am a low income* AND first-generation college student (neither parent or legal guardian completed a bachelor’s degree) OR I am a member of a group underrepresented in graduate education (Black/African American, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Pacific Islander, or Hispanic/Latino).
- I am a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
- I have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- I am enrolled full-time as an undergraduate student at UCF
- I have a minimum of 60 credit hours
- I have at least four semesters left before graduation (excluding summers)
- I am able to participate full-time in a summer research experience at UCF or an external institution in the summer prior to graduation
* If you get a Pell Grant through financial aid, this indicates you could qualify as low-income.. To find out the low-income guidelines established by the department of education click here
If you are still unsure whether you qualify for the program or if the program would be a good fit for your specific circumstances, please check out our FAQ or contact us at email@example.com.
Applying to the Program
- Before you begin completing this on-line form, please make sure you look through the entire application and have access to all the information required.
- This application does not have a ‘save’ feature, which means you must fully complete the form in one session and submit. We highly recommend that you complete all of your required statements in a separate saved word document, and then copy/paste the text into the application form.
- The application will require you to:
- Fill out academic, financial and demographic information
- Know your parents highest level of educational attainment
- Know whether you were awarded a Pell Grant or Work Study in your most recent financial aid award letter
- Upload a resume or CV
- Know the top three graduate program you plan to apply to
- Write a short statement of research interests (250 words) and a statement of purpose (1000 words)
- Once you complete the McNair application, you will be sent an e-mail with directions on how to request letters of recommendation from your recommenders.
- A section of the application will ask for your recommenders’ information – this is for administrative purposes. You will be contacting your recommenders directly through e-mail, and providing them directions on how to submit their letters to aap.
- If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the McNair Scholars program?
The University of Central Florida McNair Scholars Program is dedicated to preparing low-income, first-generation, and underrepresented undergraduate students for graduate education leading to a Ph.D.
Who is eligible for the McNair program?
Read the eligibility section of our website and see if you are eligible to apply for the program.
Are there any financial advantages to the McNair program?
During the summer research experience, Scholars receive a scholarship of up to $2,800, tuition for the academic credits earned from the research experience, and assistance with room and board.
How can I apply?
You have to submit an on-line application form to the program within the specified deadline. The next round consists of interviews by the selection committee.