Study Skills and Test Preparation
Most of us were never taught how to study, but like anything, these skills can be learned at any time! In addition, new classes and situations can demand new skills. What worked last semester might not be the most effective this semester. Here, you can learn a variety of study skills to prepare you for any class, job, project, or lifelong learning.
How to Study
- 5 Types of Studying – (shown in video) How can you incorporate all 5 types of learning into your studies?
- A 5-Stage Model for Problem Solving – Problem-solving strategies used by “A” students.
- How to Study Specific Subjects – Tips from SARC peer tutors in: Statistics Theory 1 & 2, Derivative Markets & Pricing, Managerial Accounting, Astronomy, Biology, Biology II, Human Physiology, Chemistry I, Chemistry II, Organic Chemistry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Differential Equations, Statistics, and Statistics for Engineers.
- Mix Up Your Study Habits – Help your brain learn more and not get exhausted.
- Study Habit Tracker – How effective was your study plan?
- The Study Cycle – Understand the different steps of studying and create a study plan.
Passive vs. Active Studying
- Passive vs. Active Studying – Many students realize they’ve been passively studying just by hearing the phrase “passive vs. active studying.” This handout explains the differences and helps you create a plan to make your learning more active.
- Blooms Taxonomy Worksheet – This handout explains a popular education model, Bloom’s Taxonomy, and provides an area to create sample questions.
- Build Connections – Relate course concepts to your hobbies and interests.
- Critical Thinking Cheatsheet – Generate helpful questions to use in any learning environment.
- How to Effectively Review Notes for a Test
- Sample Study Plan for an Exam – Tips on how to study for an exam, a schedule planner to break up test preparation and studying, and a test preparation checklist that lists different methods that can be used to prepare for an exam.
- Test Taking Skills – This handout provides information about test anxiety and study habits.
- The Final Countdown- Preparing for Finals Workshop Handout – This handout provides tips on how to study, how to improve concentration, and how to overcome test taking anxiety. Utilize this worksheet to help plan for your final exams.
- Learning Styles Inventory – A quiz to determine your learning style.
- Learning Through Our Senses – Not sure what your learning style is? This handout reviews all of them, and gives tips to incorporate all 5 senses into learning.
- Using Music for Memory – This handout describes ways to use music to memorize.