Review/Editing Service of Personal Statements in PHPL Advising
Our personal statement review service is OPEN. Please read the steps below on how to get your personal statement review.
It is always beneficial to have at least one other person review your personal statement to assist with message clarity, appropriate content, grammar, formatting, and structure issues, and the Pre-Health and Pre-Law Advising office can provide feedback in these areas. In addition to personal statements, we will also review any writing that is part of your application process, such as autobiography, secondary/supplemental application answers, activity descriptions, diversity statements, addenda, etc.
(Note: PHPL advisors will NOT be able to review your application essays during an advising appointment or an advising drop-in session.)
To get your personal statements or essays reviewed please follow the next steps:
- Attach a Word document to the email you send to Erik Smith, Personal Statement Reviewer at PHPLReviewer@ucf.edu
- Indicate which application system (ex. AMCAS, AACOMAS, AADSAS, etc.) your essay is for, OR tell us what type of school they are applying to (ex. med, dental, PA, PT, etc.)
- Pre-Law Student, if possible please send the writing prompt from the law school AND the page/word/character limit to the statement. But, we can review general law school statements as well.
Note: All documents submitted to our Personal Statement Reviewer will be reviewed in the chronological order they were received.
Additionally, the UCF University Writing Center is also no-cost resource for students to reach out to for assistance with your application essays.
Writing Personal Statements for Health Professional Schools
- 7 Tips for Writing Your AMCAS® Personal Comments Essay – by AAMC
- Crafting the Personal Statement – by AAMC
- The Personal Statement: Making An Impact – by Syracuse University
- A Guide for Writing Your AMCAS/AACOMAS/AADSAS/VMCAS/CASPA Essay – by Lewis Associates
- Writing Guidelines: Medical School Personal Statements – by Ohio Wesleyan University
- Writing About Me: A step-by-step method to creating a powerful personal statement for schools of health professional schools – book for purchase; by Barbara Huntington
Writing Personal Statements for Law Schools
- Personal Statements: Brainstorming, What is the Goal?, Do’s and Don’ts – by University of Wisconsin Center for Pre-Law Advising
- Writing Guidelines: Law School Personal Statements – by Ohio Wesleyan University