Review/Editing Service of Personal Statements in PHPL Advising
At this time our personal statement review service is temporarily unavailable. We recommend reaching out to the UCF Writing Center for feedback on your personal statement. It is always beneficial to have at least one other person review your personal statement to assist with message clarity, appropriate content, grammar, formatting, and structure issues, and the Pre-Health and Pre-Law Advising office can provide feedback in these areas. In addition to personal statements, we will also review any writing that is part of your application process, such as autobiography, secondary/supplemental application answers, activity descriptions, diversity statements, addenda, etc.
(Note: PHPL advisors will NOT be able to review your application essays during an advising appointment or an advising drop-in session.)
Additionally, the UCF University Writing Center is also no-cost resource for students to reach out to for assistance with your application essays.
Please observe the following deadline dates for submission of your personal statement for review during each application cycle; depending on load, personal statements submitted after these dates may not be able to be reviewed. Other documents (ex. secondary/supplemental application answers) listed in previous paragraph can be reviewed after the deadlines below.
- September 1st: Allopathic Medicine (M.D.)
- October 1st: Dentistry, Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.), Physician Assistant, Veterinary Medicine
- November 1st: Physical Therapy
- December 1st: Pharmacy, Occupational Therapy, Optometry, Podiatry, Public Health
- March 1st: Law
Writing Personal Statements for Health Professional Schools
- Crafting the Personal Statement – by AAMC
- The Personal Statement: Making An Impact – by Syracuse University
- A Guide for Writing Your AMCAS/AACOMAS/AADSAS/VMCAS/CASPA Essay – by Lewis Associates
- Writing Guidelines: Medical School Personal Statements – by Ohio Wesleyan University
- Writing About Me: A step-by-step method to creating a powerful personal statement for schools of health professional schools – book for purchase; by Barbara Huntington
Writing Personal Statements for Law Schools
- Personal Statements: Brainstorming, What is the Goal?, Do’s and Don’ts – by University of Wisconsin Center for Pre-Law Advising
- Writing Guidelines: Law School Personal Statements – by Ohio Wesleyan University
Student Testimonials – Personal Statement Review Service in PHPL Advising
- “The personal statement reviewer was very helpful, responded in a timely manner, gave lots of comments/tips.”
- “Great feedback in both realms of grammar/syntax and overall flow.”
- “I’m in an OT program now, so PHPL’s reviewing service is right on!“
- “A great service that was extremely helpful!“