Pre-Health “DirectConnect” Transfer students include students at the following Central Florida state colleges:
- Valencia College
- Seminole State College
- Eastern Florida State College
- Lake-Sumter State College
- Daytona State College
- College of Central Florida
Services we provide for Pre-Health “DirectConnect” Students
If you are a “DirectConnect to UCF” student at one of these state colleges, you can take advantage of our following services while still a student at your state college:
Our PHPL Advisors can advise you in person if you can come to our office on the UCF campus or virtually via a Zoom or phone appointment. Please contact our office via phone (407-823-3033) or email (email@example.com) to schedule an advising appointment. We are open Monday – Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm, and we are located in Trevor Colbourn Hall 133 (see campus map).
Finally, a few short words of advice for our current and future Pre-Health Transfer Students:
- Meet with a PHPL Advisor early on to discuss your current progress and make a plan for moving forward along your Pre-Health journey
- Keep your grades/GPA high!
- Select a major you will enjoy and do well in (remember, you can be ANY major!)
- Get involved in meaningful extracurricular activities even before transferring to UCF (ex. volunteering, community service, shadowing, leadership, etc.).
Common Advisement and Recommendations we provide to UCF Pre-Health Transfer Students
Q: Can Pre-Health Transfer Students take science courses at community/state colleges?
A: YES!* But be strategic!
If a Pre-Health student takes science courses while at a community/state college, after transferring to a four-year university like UCF, they must:
- Continue to earn very good grades in science courses at the four-year university (i.e., don’t let grades dip after transferring)
- Get a high score on their health professional school admissions test (ex. MCAT or DAT )
- Stay at the four-year university for courses after transferring (i.e., don’t be transient to take courses back at a community/state college – esp. not to take more science courses)
Grades must be very strong at the community/state college and continue to be very strong at the four-year university to be a competitive applicant for health professional schools.
For more information, see the Pre-Health Students Transferring to UCF with an A.A. Degree from a Community/State College: Health Professional School Course Recommendations document created by PHPL Advising & Other UCF Stakeholders.
State Colleges – Pre-Health Advisor/Faculty Contacts
Valencia College – East Campus:
Pre-Health Advisor: Gabrielle Younker, firstname.lastname@example.org
Valencia College – West Campus:
Valencia College – Osceola Campus:
Seminole State College:
Dr. Simone Nelson, email@example.com
Daytona State College:
Deidre Seker: Deidre.Seker@daytonastate.edu
Eastern Florida State College:
We are working on identifying
College of Central Florida:
Chad Christlieb: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are working on getting the contact info for Pre-Health student contacts at other campuses.
Webinars for “DirectConnect” Pre-Health Students
Webinars are offered on a variety of topics at multiple and various times throughout the semester. Although the targeted audience for our webinars are our DirectConnect students who cannot travel to our UCF main campus, anyone is welcome to join any webinar. Currently, our webinars are focused on topics for Pre-Health students. In the future, we hope to host webinars for Pre-Law students as well. For questions about our webinars, contact our advisor Kimberly at Kimberly.Finley@ucf.edu.
Pre-Health Student Webinars for Spring 2022:
State Colleges – Pre-Health Advisor/Faculty Scholarly Publications or Presentations on Pre-Health Transfer Students by PHPL Advising Staff
- Finley, K., & Myszkowski, E. (2022, June). Building relationships: Pre-health advisors at four-year universities and community colleges. Presentation at the biennial conference of the National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (NAAHP), Denver, Colorado.
- Finley, K., & Myszkowski, E. (2019, May). Building relationships: Pre-health advisors at four-year universities and community colleges. Presentation at the biennial conference of the Southern Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (SAAHP), Memphis, Tennessee.
- Myszkowski, E. (2014, June). Advising pre-health students who complete prerequisite courses at community colleges. Presentation at bi-annual meeting of National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions. (NAAHP). San Francisco, California.
- Myszkowski, E. (2014, June). Advising pre-health students who complete prerequisite courses at community colleges. Presentation to Community College Focus Group during the bi-annual meeting of the National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (NAAHP). San Francisco, California.
- Myszkowski, E. (2013, April). Medical school prerequisite courses completed at two-year colleges by medical school matriculants: An analysis at the University of Central Florida. Presentation at bi-annual meeting of Southern Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (SAAHP), Louisville, Kentucky.
- Myszkowski, E., & Cintrón, R. (2013). Medical school prerequisite courses completed at two-year colleges by medical school matriculants: An analysis at the University of Central Florida. The Advisor, 33(1), 28-33.
- Myszkowski, E. (2013, February). Medical school prerequisite courses completed at community/state colleges by medical school matriculants: An analysis at the University of Central Florida. Presentation at annual meeting of Florida Pre-Health Advisors, Gainesville, Florida.
- Medical School Prerequisite Courses Completed At Two-year Colleges By Medical School Matriculants: An Analysis At The University Of Central Florida – Dissertation by Erin Myszkowski, Director of PHPL Advising, University of Central Florida, Fall 2012
*Note: A small number of health professional schools may require that all courses be completed at a four-year university.