By Jenna Nobili | December 13, 2021
The second annual SSA Professional Development Week was held December 6-10, 2021. This week provides an opportunity for the advising community to participate in programming to enhance knowledge and develop skills that support both students and professional growth. A total of four programs were offered, including a new course for the SSA certificate (AAT 312) and a CSRDE Webinar.
- AAT 312: Helping Students Build their Portfolio through High Impact Practices (offered in-person)
- facilitated by Dr. Kimberly Schneider, Assistant Vice Provost for Academic Innovation, Division of Student Learning and Academic Success
- AAT 211: Preparing First-Generation, Low-Income and Underrepresented Students for Graduate School (offered virtually)
- facilitated by Mr. Michael Aldarondo-Jeffries, Academic Advancement Programs
- Best Practices for Advising Gen Z (offered virtually)
- facilitated by Ms. Vanessa Gonzalez, Rosen College of Hospitality Management
- CSRDE Webinar: Underrepresented College Students’ Usage and Perception of Campus Retention and Student Services Efforts
The three synchronous programs generated a total of attendance of 57 participants, and 14 individuals also signed up to view the CSRDE webinar. Participants were entered into a chance drawing, one entry for every program they attended. Winners will be able to select from the following prizes: a Padfolio, NACADA poster, NACADA Pocket Guide, or the NACADA Academic Advising Approaches book. Congratulations to our prize winners- thank you for your participation in these programs!
- Cynthia Contreras, College of Medicine (CSRDE Webinar participation drawing winner)
- Dylan Castillo, Knights Major Exploration and Transition Center (Overall Participation drawing winner #1)
- Thea Samocki, School of Global Health Management and Informatics (Overall Participation drawing winner #2)
- Chloe Condo, Academic Services for Student-Athletes (Overall Participation drawing winner #3)
The SSA PD Week culminated in the December AEP Meeting. The virtual program included the Annual Advisor Awards, SSA Certificate recognition, virtual networking, and a friendly competition of Holiday Bingo.