The UCF Job Shadow program is now the UCF Knight Shadow program, relaunching Summer 2023!
Program Manager – Sandra Leon-Barth
Program Assistant – Tatiana Johnson
Contact the UCF Knight Shadow Program at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the UCF Knight Shadow Program?
The UCF Knight Shadow program is a job shadowing opportunity for UCF students to connect with industry professionals to gain exposure to a wide variety of career fields and industries. Sessions take place during the academic breaks of the Fall (December), Spring (March), and Summer (August) semesters and include in-person and virtual options.
This program is not for academic credit and participants do not receive monetary compensation. Participants are responsible for their meals, as well as, travel costs to and from their Knight Shadow Host Site.
Student Benefits of Participating
- Connect with professionals and explore career options
- Gain insight into “day in the life” of a specific occupation
- Build your resume and network for future internship and job opportunities
Typical Activities as part of a Knight Shadow experience
- Presentation on the organization
- A panel or meet and greet of current interns and/or alumni
- Observing job duties and client interactions
- Attending meetings or office events
- Office tours
- Learning about internship/career opportunities within the organization
- An informational interview
Types of Opportunities and Locations
The UCF Knight Shadow program provides both in-person and virtual job shadow experiences, hosted throughout the state of Florida.
Experiential Learning works diligently to provide a variety of experiences. However, available experiences are only those that are submitted by hosts. While we invite all of our contacts and target all majors/industries to participate in the program, some organizations may not have the resources to provide a job shadowing experience. Therefore, the list of experiences may be limited and vary by semester.
How to Apply
Student Applications for the UCF Knight Shadow Program are accepted through Handshake, during the application window for that session. Students must submit a resume and cover letter to apply to opportunities. Submitting your application does not guarantee you will be matched with an experience.
Students – For more information on the program, how to apply, and key dates and deadlines you can attend one of our in-person or virtual information sessions. Visit Handshake and search “Knight Shadow” to view the information session dates and times. If the session is virtual, the zoom link will be listed in Handshake.
What kinds of industries participate?
All Industries are welcome to participate.
Where are shadowing experiences located?
Shadowing experiences are offered wherever we have UCF alumni and friends of the University who are willing to host! The locations of the experiences will vary each session, depending on who has submitted opportunities.
I am an international student, can I participate in the Knight Shadow Program?
The Knight Shadow program is open to all currently enrolled students, including those who are international. This is not an internship so being able to work in the U.S. does is not a requirement (unless specified by the Host on their registration form).
Is housing/transportation provided?
No. It is important to consider geographic location. While most experiences only last one day, it is the student’s responsibility to arrange housing and transportation and cover any related expenses.
How many Knight Shadow opportunities can I apply for?
Students can apply for multiple opportunities per session and can be matched with multiple experiences. However, we will only match students with one (1) Knight shadow experience per day.
How long does the Knight Shadow experience last?
Experiences can range from a few hours to a full day. Specific times may not be available during the application period, so students are expected to be available the entire day.
Be sure to check back frequently as opportunities can be added throughout the application window.
If I apply to an experience, will I be matched with that experience?
Submitting your application does not guarantee you will be matched with a particular Knight Shadow experience. Due to the popularity of organizations and/or the number of students an organization can host, sometimes students will not be matched. The UCF Knight Shadow program will make every effort to match as many applicants to at least one experience.
Are students required to attend an orientation session?
Yes. If you are matched with a Knight Shadow experience, you must participate in the mandatory student orientation. This orientation will be administered via webcourses and is designed to brief you on expectations, logistics, planning, and sign off on waivers.
What if I have to cancel my Knight Shadow experience?
- By applying to any UCF Knight Shadow program opportunity, you are committing to the experience. Since students apply in advance, you should be able to follow-through on this commitment.
- If a student is unable to participate in their experience for any reason, they MUST notify the UCF Knight Shadow program immediately. Except in the case of extenuating circumstances (such as natural disasters, unforeseen personal emergencies), cancelling after this window will prohibit student participation in future sessions. Students who cancel after this date will also be required to send an apology letter to their host.
How do I find a job shadowing experience on my own?
- Create a LinkedIn profile and begin building an online professional network.
- Ask friends, family, neighbors, colleagues, faculty, peers, and former employers — anyone you know — for opportunities to shadow in their workplace.
- Students are also encouraged to connect with the Faculty Coordinator for their major. Visit our Meet the Team page to find contact information for the liaison to your major.
Contact the UCF Knight Shadow Program at email@example.com
Registration for the UCF Knight Shadow Program Summer 2023 Session is now open!
About the Program
The UCF Knight Shadow program is a one-day Job Shadow program that allows employers and industry professionals to connect with UCF students and help them gain exposure to positions, career fields and organizations.
Summer 2023 program dates: Aug 8,9,10
Employer registration deadline: June 27
If you are interested in hosting UCF students during our summer session, please complete the Knight Shadow Request Form
You can host a single student or a group of students for an in-person or virtual experience.
- Build your organization’s brand on-campus
- Develop a pipeline of talent for internship or full-time opportunities
- Help students explore different career options
- No-cost way to give back to the UCF community
Employer Program Guide
This Document covers the the key aspects of the program from the Timeline, Scope of a shadowing experience, Sample position descriptions, deadlines, and FAQ’s.UCF KnightShadow Employer Guide_SUMMER 2023
We look forward to your organization participating in the UCF Knight Shadow Program!
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org