Volunteering: Student Undergraduate Research Council (SURC)
About the Council
The Student Undergraduate Research Council (SURC) promotes undergraduate research for students at the University of Central Florida.
Council members’ responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Advising the Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) on programming and other efforts.
- Attending monthly meetings with OUR staff.
- Promoting undergraduate research at workshops, tabling events, and speaking engagements.
- Working as a team to develop, strengthen, and expand undergraduate research awareness at UCF.
Council members should expect to spend approximately 10 hours per month, including evenings and occasional weekend events, working on SURC events and supporting the Office of Undergraduate Research. SURC members’ term of service on the Council begins with Orientation in May 2023.
Simply click on the link, then sign on to the platform by clicking on “University of Central Florida Single Sign On (SSO)“. Then log in with your NID and NID password. From there, you will be able to access the application as well as the details and requirements.
As a benefit of serving on this council, SURC members who have completed at least 15 hours of service and are in good standing with the Council are eligible for up to $300 in research funding.
If you are interested in applying to be part of the Council, the following criteria must be met:
- Prior research experience (at least one semester)
- Not on Academic Probation
- Graduation no earlier than May 2023
Paid: Peer Mentoring
Undergraduate students with experience in research and creative activities bring vital knowledge which they share with SRA participants in several ways:
- Serve as mentors and coaches for student participants who have questions about campus resources and academy assignments
- Serve as mentors to students regarding the UCF research experience
- Run small group learning sessions during the academy
- Provide additional support as requested by Summer Research Academy staff
Peer mentor applications are due on June 1!
Apply here : SRA Peer Mentor Application (qualtrics.com)
OUR Peer Mentors work in the Office of Undergraduate Research throughout the year. These Peer Mentors run our Peer Advising Hours, in which they provide guidance, advice, and support to students who are just getting started with undergraduate research and students who are already involved. They also assist in outreach activities, such as class visits and tabling events. This is a one-year commitment which typically begins in the summer semester and runs through the end of the Spring term (at least).
*Peer mentor applications are currently closed. Applications will re-open in Summer 2023.